Thursday, August 01, 2013

Collage Clean-Up

 

I have my collages scattered in portfolios, notebooks, sketchbooks, boxes, files, etc.  I am completely re-doing my workroom not because I want to, but out of necessity.  I am trying to organize two rooms into one and I have to get rid of lots of things.  That has not been a problem, but it is slow going. In the process, I have realized that as organized as I like to think I am, my collages are a mess.  I have never really organized them, so I thought now was as good a time as any.  I plan to have them sorted by years and in order for this to go smoothly, I thought I would post them online to help me keep track.  The past 10 years, I was good at putting a title and date on the back, but before that, I left them blank except when I used a date stamp.  I will be posting my old work on my Ipernity site since I like the way their albums are set up.  If you want to see the process, you can find the start of them HERE .  I imagine it will take me some time to get them all on since I have hundreds, and hundreds more I traded or gave away/sold.  I have never counted, so it might be interesting to see them all together, at least for me.  I'm not too proud of my early work, but hey, we all have to start somewhere. 

4 comments:

Crafty Dogma said...

I've really enjoyed seeing the work you've been posting. I think that all your collages are amazing. It would be worse to think that one's earlier work is better than later work though. You have definitely become more innovative with time.

Scrapatorium said...

Thanks A! You have always been so supportive and I really appreciate it. And you're right about earlier work seeming better than what one is producing at the moment, but it can happen. In my case, my early stuff makes me cringe. I'm not in love with my old or new work. I just enjoy the process of creating and experimenting. The end result is not that important unless it's a total disaster. I just want to be challenged. I think as long as I keep that frame of mind, I will continue to make stuff. The minute it becomes work or boring, I'll retire my scissors.

Jo Murray said...

Don't even think about retiring your scissors. I'm a big fan of your work...old AND new.

Scrapatorium said...

You're so sweet, Jo. Thanks!