Friday, February 01, 2013

Suck It Up

collage 5"x7"


A BIG THANKS to the nice folks who took the time to comment during the 100 collage project (deadline Jan. 31, 2013). They were: Wasted Papiers, Todd Franklin, Mattie, Sosser, Crafty Dogma, miriskum dot de, and Lisa (Simpletoenchant) . To show my gratitude, I'd like to give each of you a collage from the 100. Please email me (you can find my address in my profile) so I can give you details. Some of you, I already know which collage to send based on your comments, but still might need some info.  If I left anyone out, please let me know. 

My main purpose in doing the 100 collage challenge was to get in the habit of creating on a daily basis, even when I didn't feel up to it.  I was able to accomplish that and actually learned a few things along the way:

1.  Even though I am busier now than I have been in the past, I found that I still have plenty of time during the week to sit at my desk and produce work.  A collage a day seems such an easy task now that I have tackled making up to 7-8 in one day. 

2.  I was able to get a very good grasp of my materials.  Over the past twenty years I have accumulated a few hundred magazines, clippings, and boxes filled with old ephemera.  I found some papers that I had long forgotten and look forward to working with them in the future.

3.  I found myself reverting to some of my collage styles of the past.  In the early 1990s, my style was very simple using colored backgrounds and a few clippings, mostly from fashion magazines.  My biggest influence to layer more imagery came from two of my favorite artists, Michael Leigh and Paul Jackson, who I met online in 2004 in the early days of Flickr.   Most of the simple collages I made this time around were not because I wanted them to be plain, but because of time constraints.  Simplicity is fine, but I also think it's boring when you rely on the original graphics  of an image (which is pleasing to look at whether you add to it or not), or on a clever title, to make your composition appear more interesting than it really is.  I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I've been guilty of doing it.

4.  I realized that I am too organized and uptight when making work.   During this process, again because time started to run out me, I just kept all the loose images and magazines piled on top of each other on the floor around me.  It helped me to loosen up.  Can't say that it didn't drive me crazy, but I think I can find a happy medium.

The only con I can report is that I made lots of work that I am not proud of, but posted them anyway because it was all part of the process.  Still, I threw away many collages.  I frequently trash work because the ideas don't come together or I make a glaring glue error.   I really hate poorly glued collages.  What's the point of a good composition if little attention is paid to how it's adhered to the paper? 

All in all though, I loved the experience.  I thought about, read about, dreamt about, and was obsessed with collage for a whole month.  I learned a few new things and have several ideas for future collages.  I'm hoping that I can move forward and make some exciting work (to me) and try to move away from making work that is easy and comfortable. 

19 comments:

Crafty Dogma said...

It's nice to discover old images and even use bits of paper one would have never considered using in the past. Only you would know which of the collages were not up to scratch because I thought that they were all excellent. I need to learn to not press the glue stick so hard.... Thank you for the lovely thought of sending a collage across.

Operator_99 said...

Congrats in completing your self-imposed challenge. I have been following your work for quite a while and really enjoy it. In 2011 I did a similar thing on Flickr, doing the 365 toy project, a new original image incorporating a toy(s) each day for a year. Much of it was integrating photos I took into images from LOC and scans of other material. Happy with about 75% of the work, and happy to have it be that high. Bottom line, I think anyone involved with the arts, music, writing, etc., would find a similar project worthwhile. PS, I am not pimping my work, but if you are at all interested in seeing the Toy project images, drop me a note and I'll send a link.

Scrapatorium said...

A., I do the same thing with the glue stick! I would love to design the perfect glue for collagists. I don't think it exists. Rubber cement, which is toxic, would be a good solution because of the way you can erase off any extra glue mistakes, but I would never use it. I did when I was taking design classes, but it was required. That stuff fell apart after a few years.

I've got several little things to send you, so will put the collage in the packet. :-)



Scrapatorium said...

Operator_99, thanks for the comment! I'd love to see your work. Feel free to send me a link via email.

Jo Murray said...

I've always loved seeing your work Angelica although I don't always comment. When you had 'Scrapiteria' you set me on a path to collaging that had only previously been a distraction. Now it is an obsession. I have my first online collage show at this very moment...

http://virtual.tart.co.nz/default.htm

I don't qualify for a freebie collage, but I'd trade with you anytime.

Scrapatorium said...

Hi Jo! I'm so happy to hear that Scrapiteria encouraged you to collage more. I look forward to seeing your online show. Congrats!! Email me when you get the chance.

Mattie said...

Angelica, it's so kind of you to give us collages! I still love the little one you sent me a few years ago that was made from a torn carte de visite. I admire your persistence and determination, too. I wish I could complete a hundred-day art challenge but I can't even seem to wash the dishes every day! You really inspire me.

Scrapatorium said...

Mattie, your dish comment made me laugh! You don't need to make a hundred. Just start with one. Please email me when you get a chance so I can get your address.

miriskum dot de said...

To follow your challenge and to read about your experiences was very interesting and inspirational! This time I´m a bit addicted too, but 100 collages in one month seems to be unpossible to me! CONGRATULATIONS, once again. Beside the set of problems with the glue I agree to your thoughts about simplicity – that is also another inspiration for me! And last but not least: Your idea sending a collage is so lovely – sweetened my sunday! Greetings from Sabine (miriskum)

Scrapatorium said...

Thanks so much for your comment! I was not sure if my explanation for making simple collages made sense. There are many artists who make sparse collages whose work I really love. They know how to use space and play with shapes and ideas.

And it doesn't matter if you make 100. It's better to make one collage that you are really proud of than 100 that are just ok. :-)

sosser said...

i, too, am very inspired by your wonderful work and the results of this tremendous challenge. what a thrill to know one of these brilliant collages will be in my hands soon! i am not exaggerating when i say it is impossible to choose one favorite. many thanks, angelica!
(regarding the issue of glue... i switched a couple of years ago to double sided scrapbooking tape. it is acid-free, never wrinkles the papers and i love the look of the free edges :))

Scrapatorium said...

You're welcome! Please email me at your convenience so we can work out the details.

The scrapbooking tape sounds interesting. The free edges probably give a 3D effect. Your collages are always so original and I really love your phobia series.

Wastedpapiers said...

Always a treat to see your work Angelica. Thanks for the kind words and the promise of a collage! I await it's arrival with baited breath! Having made New Year's resolutions in the past to make a collage a day is hard enough - to make 100 is quite staggering and to make 100 excellent collages is even more of an accomplishment!

Scrapatorium said...

Thanks so much Michael! You know you are a great inspiration to me, if not the greatest. I mean that in all sincerity. You have produced more work than anyone I know, all brilliant.

Todd Franklin said...

Wow, you are too kind! It will be fun to own one of your original collages and I'm very thankful!! Even though I enjoyed your collages in the past when they showed up on flickr, this was my true intro of your work. I'm looking forward to seeing where your imagination and glue stick will take you next!

Scrapatorium said...

Thanks for the nice comment Todd!

chadichado said...

J'adore!!!

Scrapatorium said...

Thank you chadichado!

chadichado said...

Je veux bien avoir le même aspirateur.